Tuesday 31 March 2015

My Choice..Really!!


So I got up today morning with a mystified overcast in my head. Yes the happenings around me confuse me to the core. Like this Deepika Padukone video on "My Choice". And the first question that I ask myself is - Is she kidding? In a country like India do we really have a choice to follow our choices. And even if some elite class women (I don't necessarily mean the rich one's here) do have this choice then do they need to blow the trumpet of having a choice of engaging in extra marital affairs/ infidelity. I mean they can do so without shouting from the rooftops about their choices. And for the lower class who don't even have a choice in deciding what to eat for the next meal..does this "My choice" anthem really makes sense. 


And then Mr. Director of the video (Homi Adjania..same lad who made Cocktail) confuses me even more. So on one hand,in his movie Cocktail he is depicting that the hero falls for the Sati Savitri/ suit clad Diana Penty instead of a rocker and happy-go-lucky-my choice-theory following Deepika Padukone and here in the "My choice" he is depicting an entirely different theory. Deepika had challenged the equation of beauty*brains=constant and I had better expectations from her but here she completely fell prey to what was being asked her to do rather than using her grey cells. So in plain theory a woman did what a man thought was righteous of his thoughts on woman empowerment. So rather than an empowerment motivation this dude has challenged the choice sanctity of a woman. Because I do not think having a baby can be choice for any woman - "Its a boon that god has showered on us women". Period. But yes it seems unfair to direct all angst against the Dips lady as she is doing what she has been asked to do or acting in the video so to say.

And closer home in this foreign land, these Americans fuddle me to the hilt..more-so in their environment conservation sense. So I am not really sure whether they want to save water or paper. Picture this, a basic apartment infrastructure here is such that they do not use a water jet in their commodes (apparently to save water), instead having zillion rolls of tissue papers to clean up and then they have a big bath tub (taking water conservation for a toss). So neither the paper/trees are being saved nor the water.

If the maiden step to knowledge is confusion...I might become a genius one day!!!

No comments: