Wednesday 31 July 2019

That first night away from home

I ventured out from home almost a decade ago to pursue the golden degree of MBA. The experience of living away from home gave me lot of edges and curves. The most crucial part of this stay is the first night spent in the new surroundings with new people in absolutely brand new bedding. Okay, I got you there at the brand new bedding but frankly there is nothing dreamy about it.
I do have a distinct memory of my train journey from Delhi to Mumbai, the location of my college. The highlight of the journey was my crying marathon, listing to the songs from the Gangster, just above my mother's berth. I guess she was running her own marathon of sorts. My mind was filled with uncertain thoughts about future when we disembarked from the train at Bombay Central. The air was heavy with moisture and raw fish odor.
Seven hours later, I was waving goodbye to my mom trying to hold back giant wave of tears. And she let her oceans flow as the taxi sped off. I came upstairs to my room and tried to find comfort in my new bedding, instead I cried my heart out. And that's when the stark reality dawned upon me that
The Circus of Life has begun. There would be free falls, constant juggling of roles and responsibilities, some magical music, maintaining balance while walking on tight rope of life and I will be meeting some jokers along the way.



His college is few hours away from home but the thought of Hostel breaks his heart every time his mind wanders to near future. Its his first night away from home today. He is standing in his hostel balcony overlooking a garden with a fountain in between. Its pitch dark and way past midnight when he whispers into the phone with tears welling up in his eyes, "Didi ghar ki bahot yaad aa rahi hai". I want to transmit myself to the other end of the call and wrap my baby brother into a tight hug. Instead a thought takes over me, "The Circus of Life has begun", for him.

The second night would be much better, I promise him.

No comments: